A dental implant serves as the replacement for the root portion of a missing natural tooth. It is made from titanium alloy to exact specifications. After your dentist placed the implant into the jawbone, it integrates with the bone and becomes a secure anchor for a replacement crown, a fixed bridge, a removable partial denture, or a complete denture.
Did you know, Dental implants are one of the most successful longterm dental treatments available today.
Reasons for Dental Implants
- Replace one or more missing teeth without affecting adjacent teeth as would happen with a bridge
- Resolve joint pain or bite problems caused by teeth shifting into missing tooth space
- Restore a patient’s confident smile
- Restore chewing, speech, and digestion
- Restore or enhance facial tissues
- Support a bridge or denture, making them more secure and comfortable
Loosing one or more of your teeth without immediately placing a dental implant starts a chain of events that can have physical and cosmetic consequences. The most obvious result is a gap in your smile. Less obvious is the loss of chewing function and the inability to eat a complete diet that can result from tooth loss.
While these are certainly serious issues, a potentially bigger problem lies hidden beneath the surface: bone loss. Your jawbone needs the chewing action of the teeth to stimulate it and keep it strong, otherwise it will begin to disappear. Without the support of your teeth and facial bones, your face will begin to look prematurely aged. An implant placed timeously and professionally by Molteno Road Dental usually involves 2 appointments to complete the whole case.
Contact Cape Town dentist Molteno Road Dental today for more information on dental implants, and start smiling wide again!