Since becoming a proud dad for the first time very recently , I realized that maintaining good oral health in your precious little ones can be a real struggle!
Here are some healthy tips that encourage better dental care in children:
Tooth Friendly Foods:
- Fruit, vegetables, cheese, lean meat and nuts are a far better and smarter choice than cookies, sweets and chips!
Try these for healthy eating habits:
- Make healthy food convenient – a little prep work goes a long way!
- Have healthy food in small containers in the fridge at hand when they get hungry
- Save sugary and starch rich food for meal times. Eating these with a meal (as supposed to a snack ) reduces the formation of caries
Brushing and flossing:
- Brush their teeth till about eight years of age, flossing till the age of 10
- Use 2 to 3 toothbrushes and let them choose one each night
- Let them decide whether it’s mom or da’s turn to do the brushing.
- Start dental visits from a young age – from the time the first teeth appear to no more than their first birthday.
- Prepare them for what to expect by reading children’s books about dentist visits.
With a little creative thinking and patience your kids can enjoy taking care of their teeth through their childhood.